Thursday, December 19, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

When I checked into Kimpton’s Hotel Palomar Philadelphia a few nights ago, there was a note on my reservation from the Concierge, Ariella, asking me what my New Year’s Resolution was. I was dumbfounded for two reasons: brevity is not my gift, so I could never have just one, and in these instances I felt like I should have had something profound at the ready.
The truth is, I have a set of resolutions I’m working on every day, so here, for Ariella (and Lindsay, the Palomar's wonderful front office manager) and the world, are my resolutions for today and every day of the impending New Year, ordered from least to most important.

  • Learn some Spanish
  • Get myself in shape (mostly by running and eating and drinking less (but not none!) of the nutritionally crappy stuff in my diet.
  • Publish my little 1-2-3-4 treatise on parenting teens.
  • Be a model of kindness and love in the world.
  • Be an able adviser to clients, friends, & family.
  • Raise at least $10MM for Michigan.
  • Organize more time alone with my beautiful wife! Spend a couple of weekends sleeping in and eating really great food.
  • Make as many moments as consciously possible moments of prayer, where prayer means making a gift to God of the practice and improvement of God’s gifts to me.
  • Grow my heart so it resembles an ocean - an ocean you can throw your sorrow and suffering into and watch them dissipate, an ocean of peace and joy that overwhelms you when you really get to feel its size.

No comments: